Bend Domestic Violence Lawyer
Defending Clients Facing Domestic Violence Charges in Oregon
In the heat of an argument between two people, many find themselves charged with domestic violence while emotions are running high. These accusations can often be false and result from raised tempters or misunderstandings. Unfortunately, being innocent doesn't always mean you won't be found guilty.
Our Bend domestic violence attorney offers a free case evaluation to help you get started. We'll discuss your case with you, review the details, and let you know how we can help. We get started immediately on investigating and building a defense. Your rights are our primary concern, and we aim to gain you a favorable resolution.
Call Baxter Harder, LLC today at (541) 238-9210 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our domestic violence attorney in Bend!
What is Domestic Violence?
In Oregon, there is no single crime that is considered to be "domestic violence"; rather, domestic violence encompasses a range of abusive behaviors that occur within intimate relationships or households. "
Below are different types of crimes that can be considered domestic violence:
- Verbal abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Threatening behavior
- Psychological abuse
- Emotional abuse
What are the Penalties for Domestic Violence in Oregon?
The penalties for a domestic violence conviction in Oregon can be significant, and they include the following:
- Menacing: Class A misdemeanor, fines of $6250 and 364 days in jail.
- Stalking: Class A misdemeanor, fines of $6250 and 364 days in jail.
- 4th Degree Assault: Class A, fines of $6250 and 364 days in jail.
- 3rd Degree Assault: Class C, fines of $125,000 and up to five years in prison.
- 2nd Degree Assault: Class B, fines of $250,000 and up to 10 years in prison.
- 1st Degree Assault: Class A, fines of $375,000 and up to 20 years in prison.
In addition to the penalties listed above, a conviction for domestic violence can continue to penalize you, such as by coming up with a background check for a job or when seeking housing. Fight allegations of abuse today with the help of Bend domestic violence Attorney Casey Baxter. He has been highly recognized for his legal capabilities in and out of the courtroom, including accolades such as 10 Best 2015 & 2016, an Avvo Superb Top Attorney in Criminal Defense, Top 40 Under 40, and Avvo Client's Choice in 2016 and 2017 for Criminal Defense. Don't let a disagreement turn into a criminal record.
Defenses Against Domestic Violence Charges
Mounting a solid defense against domestic violence charges requires a thorough understanding of legal strategies. Our legal team is well-versed in developing robust defenses for our clients, including:
- Self-Defense: If the accused can demonstrate their actions were in self-defense, it may serve as a viable defense against domestic violence charges.
- False Accusations: In some instances, individuals may be falsely accused of domestic violence. Our attorneys work diligently to uncover the truth and challenge baseless allegations.
- Lack of Evidence: A strong defense can be built on challenging the evidence presented by the prosecution, highlighting inconsistencies or insufficient proof.
- Improper Police Conduct: If law enforcement violated the accused's rights during the arrest or investigation, it could be grounds for suppressing evidence and strengthening the accused's defense.
At Baxter Harder, LLC, we leverage our legal expertise to build the most robust defense strategy tailored to the specifics of each case.
What Is the Statute of Limitations in Oregon for Domestic Violence?
The statute of limitations in Oregon depends on several factors, such as the type and severity of the crime committed and the ages of the people involved.
For example, the statute of limitations for criminal mistreatment in the first degree (a class B felony) can be one of three options:
- Six years after the crime occurred
- 12 years after the offense is first reported to law enforcement
- Anytime until the victim turns 30 if they were under the age of 18 when the crime was committed
If you were involved in a domestic violence dispute, turn to Baxter Harder, LLC. Our domestic violence attorneys are here to protect your rights and best interests.
Contact Our Bend Domestic Violence Attorney Today
Navigating domestic violence charges requires a skilled and compassionate legal team. At Baxter Harder, LLC, we are committed to providing the advocacy and support you need during this challenging time. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to defending your rights and crafting a strategic defense tailored to your unique circumstances. If you are facing domestic violence charges in Bend, Oregon, contact Baxter Harder, LLC, and let us stand by your side in the pursuit of justice.
Contact Baxter Harder, LLC today to schedule a meeting with our domestic violence lawyer in Bend!
Over 60+ Years of Combined Experience
Work With an Experienced Former Deputy District Attorney at the Firm
Extensive Trial Experience
We Can Handle Complex Cases in Criminal, Civil, & Family Law
Highly Personalized Representation
Free or Low-Cost Consultations
Google's Highest Rated Law Firm East of The Cascades
When you choose our team of experienced lawyers, we will take the time to listen to your needs and remain focused on that as we proceed with your case. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to provide the quality defense you need.