Bend Drug Possession Lawyer
Defending Against Drug Possession Charges in Oregon
When it comes to drug possession charges in Oregon, the stakes are high. Drug possession is considered a serious criminal offense and is penalized as such in the state. At Baxter Harder, LLC, our Bend drug possession attorneys are committed to defending your rights and advocating for your best interests.
Contact Baxter Harder, LLC today at (541) 238-9210 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug possession attorney in Bend.
What is Drug Possession?
Drug possession is a legal term that refers to holding or having controlled substances in your possession, control, or custody. These controlled substances can include marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, heroin, prescription medications, and more. Like many other states, Oregon has strict laws governing controlled substance possession.
There are two primary types of drug possession charges:
- Actual Possession: This type of possession occurs when the drugs are found on your person, in your pockets, bag, or any other place within your immediate control. For instance, if you have drugs in your pocket or backpack, you may be charged with actual possession.
- Constructive Possession: Constructive possession refers to situations where you can and intend to exercise control over the drugs, even if they are not on your person. For example, if drugs are found in your car or in your home, and you have knowledge of their presence, you may be charged with constructive possession.
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession in Oregon?
The penalties for drug possession in Oregon will vary depending on several factors, including the type and quantity of the controlled substance and your prior criminal record. Oregon classifies controlled substances into different schedules, and the severity of the penalties depends on the specific schedule of the drug involved. Penalties may include:
- Fines: Convictions for drug possession can result in fines that can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the drug and the amount in your possession.
- Jail Time: Depending on the specifics of the offense, you may face jail time. Oregon's sentencing guidelines consider the type and quantity of drugs involved, as well as your criminal history.
- Probation: In some cases, probation may be offered as an alternative to jail time, requiring you to adhere to certain conditions, such as drug testing, treatment, and regular check-ins with a probation officer.
- Mandatory Drug Treatment: Judges may order mandatory drug treatment programs as part of your sentencing, aiming to handle the underlying issues that may have contributed to your drug possession.
- Criminal Record: A drug possession conviction can result in a criminal record, which can have long-lasting consequences for employment, housing, and other opportunities.
Defenses Against Drug Possession Charges
Some common defenses against drug possession charges may include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights by performing an illegal search or seizure, any evidence obtained may be deemed inadmissible in court.
- Lack of Knowledge: You may not be found guilty of drug possession if you were unaware of the presence of controlled substances. Proving a lack of knowledge can be a viable defense strategy.
- Unlawful Stop or Arrest: If your arrest was not based on probable cause or was unlawful in any way, it may be possible to challenge the validity of the arrest and the evidence obtained.
- Prescription Medication: If you had a valid prescription for the medication, you may have a valid defense against drug possession charges.
- Chain of Custody Issues: The prosecution must establish a clear chain of custody for the evidence. Any gaps or inconsistencies in this chain can be exploited as a defense.
- Substance Misidentification: Errors in the identification of the controlled substance can also be used as a defense. Lab analysis results can be challenged.
Contact Our Drug Possession Attorney in Bend Today
The consequences of a drug possession conviction can be life-altering, affecting your freedom, finances, and future opportunities. At Baxter Harder, LLC, our Bend drug possession lawyer will work tirelessly to investigate your case, explore all possible defenses, and fight for the best possible outcome. Your future is too important to leave to chance – let us be your advocates in your time of need.
Contact Baxter Harder, LLC today to get started with our Bend drug possession lawyer.
Over 60+ Years of Combined Experience
Work With an Experienced Former Deputy District Attorney at the Firm
Extensive Trial Experience
We Can Handle Complex Cases in Criminal, Civil, & Family Law
Highly Personalized Representation
Free or Low-Cost Consultations
Google's Highest Rated Law Firm East of The Cascades
When you choose our team of experienced lawyers, we will take the time to listen to your needs and remain focused on that as we proceed with your case. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to provide the quality defense you need.